Sunday 11 December 2011

Skyrim - Traitor's Post and beyond

We head back to Windhelm to sell some items, the trip is uneventful. Oengul War-Anvil, the blacksmith in Windhelm, is pleased to do business with us. I purchase a new helmet for myself, something befitting Hedron the Collider. It is a masterfully smithed steel plate creation, one which fortifies the alchemy ability of those wearing it. I feel eager to crack out the pestle and mortar.

After a brief wander through the streets, I leave through the front gate with Stenvar in tow. He keeps up with my fast pace well. The snow is falling fast in these parts, I can barely see more than thirty feet in front of me.

What I can see are a smattering of buildings just up from the road we're walking along. It turns out to be a farm, by the name of Brandy-Mug. I have a quick word with the owner, who claims he can grow anything here - I raise an eye brow or two in doubt.

We continue along the road, passing a number of other farms before the path leaves civilisation and weaves into the snow-covered hills. I can see another building in the distance, and on approaching it can see that it has suffered the wrath of the constant-winter. It is a partially-collapsed wooden shack called Traitor's Post, and no sooner have I identified the place than bandits emerge from the place baying for our blood.

The ordinary bandits are dispatched easily, my sword flashing and Stenvar's broadsword crashing. But from behind the building steps a bandit chief who proves to be slightly more difficult. Matters aren't helped by a rogue ice wraith who happens upon our little battle, and my actions become slowed as I absorb shots of ice magic. But eventually, we slay both of them. I slump down into the nearest chair in the shack to recover for a moment.

I stand, and leave the building and dead bandits behind, and we head down the hill to the riverside. I wade across, and Stenvar follows closely. Once across, we head up the mountain, ankle deep in snow. A disturbing sight greets me as I round a bend - a number of bodies are on the road, some appear to be unclothed. A couple of Imperial soldiers step out in front of me, demanding payment in gold. I think that this may be to allow me to pass, and not to become the next person dead on the mountain.


Naturally, I won't be swayed by such mercenary behaviour, not least the war crimes these soldiers seem to have committed. I tell them no, and the leader of the duo attacks me instantly. They are not aware of the prowess Stenvar and I hold in battle, and I slay the leader with a swift side cut to the neck - his head leaves his body, and begins to roll down the slope.

The second soldier is soon slain by Stenvar, so we head up the hill to where I saw the bodies. They also appear to be Imperial soldiers - what actually occurred here, I guess we'll never find out. All original witnesses to this atrocity are no longer alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment