Friday 30 December 2011

Skyrim - A delayed burial

We make our way from Stillborn Cave, still smarting from the wounds and harrowing battles fought in that cold grotto, and head south west, skirting the domain of Windhelm. A couple of wolves are beaten off easily, and some crabs at the side of a river we ford have bravery beyond their stature. Their chitin is taken for use in future alchemical mixtures.

Climbing the banks of the river near Lake Yorgrim, a range of mountains sits between me and Whiterun, forcing Stenvar and I to head west to get there. Without hunting for it, we stumble over the ancient Dwemer remains of Irkngthand. It is a ruined city of grey stone, set into the mountain side as many Dwemer edifices are. Branching between towers are stone walkways, as well as newer, wooden constructions.


The bandits announce themselves with a volley of arrow fire. Though inaccurate, it puts me and Stenvar on the defensive. But we are soon back on the front foot, eliminating each bandit we come to through savagery and cunning. Entry to the interior of the ruins is not available to me - no end of lockpicking results in a floor covered with broken picks. We move on.

On the way, I make yet another discovery - the ancient temple of Korvunjund. Much like many of the other draugr tombs I've frequented, a large exterior extends out, leading to a large metal door for access to the interior. My thirst for exploration isn't into it, and again we get back on our travels.

We finally make it onto the north-south road to Whiterun. Traveling down it, I speak with a rather odd man named Cicero who is standing next to a broken-wheeled cart. He appears to be some form of jester, and also appears to be completely insane. Dragons, bandits and poison-spitting spiders I can take with ease, but the crazed chatter of the mad leave me deeply disturbed.

I agree to help him fix his wheel, and speak with the owner of a nearby farm. The farmer seems very angry with the jester, and finds it absurd that someone would want to bring joy and happiness to these cold lands. I explain to him that he is carrying the body of his dear and departed mother in the back of the cart, and that it would be best to get the cart moving lest the dead and possibly diseased body have negative effects on his crops. The farmer agrees, and when I inform Cicero he is overjoyed.

I quickly depart south, and finally make it to the large wooden gates of Whiterun.

No comments:

Post a Comment