Friday 25 November 2011

Skyrim - Ancient's Ascent

Though still chilly, the mountain air is welcome respite from the cold breeze of Bonehill Passage. It is early evening by now, and the sun creeping towards the horizon is beginning to turn the snow a gentle salmon pink.

The pathway leads us further up the mountain, the sides lined by alpine trees and sharp rocks. I spot some signs of ancient construction - walls and cut stones. Maybe we're nearing a tomb or an ancient ruin? Rounding a corner, the pathway opens up.

My voice catches in my throat as I glance up and see incoming doom. A dragon screeches, and both Lydia and I stumble with the volume of noise. It passes us many times, spewing flame at us as we fire arrows skyward.

I run toward a nearby stack of rocks in the hope of giving myself cover, but Lydia... Lydia remains in the open. She is shining, replete in her armour, flame licking at her from the flying beast. The dragon lands in the centre of the mountainous arena and tries to take bites of of Lydia. And yet she still stays put, sword now drawn.

I am throwing arrows doused with poison at the dragon, and a final flight of orcish arrows puts the thing to rest. It collapses on the ground, its incredible weight no longer supported by the once living muscles of my reptilian opponent.


The death of a dragon is an awe-inspiring sight. As the life leaves its body, the scales begin to glow with ruddy heat, and soon they are alight with magical fire. Flakes of ash are blown away from the massive skeleton of the creatures by the valley wind, lifted to the heavens.

And another wind builds up, one which builds and builds, pulling the dragon's soul into my very fibre. I'm left with a feeling of intense strength, but also massive loss. I whisper silent prayers to the departed creature, before taking that of use from its remains.

I turn to face the rest of the ruins, and see a circular wall, very similar to that seen earlier in Dustman's Cairn. A similar wind to the dragon soul builds around me, and a strange text in blue glows on the wall. I gain another shout, but do not have the knowledge to use it.


The path we followed here leads no further, so we turn back the way we came and head back through the ice cave, and down the path through Helgen. Soon another fort is within view, this one southeast from the destroyed town, named Fort Neugrad. Bandits walk its perimeter. Lydia and I walk on past - we will clear it another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment