Sunday 13 November 2011

Skyrim - Return to Riverwood

The first thing I come to is a cottage, alone, in the middle of a plain. It sits between a fast running river and the edge of the mountain. Approaching it, and old woman calls to me “Leave me be, I have nothing for you.’ So I do. Walking another hundred feet into a nearby wood lands me closer to death than I’ve come yet – a wizard ambushes me in the forest, pulsing fire from his hands. I run away – my clothes and armour are not fire retardant – and leap desperately into the gorge. The blood is pumping in my ears, I know I’ve just had a close call.

Surfacing, I find myself about to go over the edge of a water fall and stop myself on a rock just in time. I also notice fish jumping at the waterfall – salmon as it happens. Free food! I am very happy with this dramatic change in circumstances so soon after my near-death that I don’t notice the wolves on the shore as I make dry land. Both of the creatures taste cold steel, and I wander along the path, back towards Riverwood, the village where I started.

Naturally, the first thing I think about on my return is a swift pint, and I make my way to the nearest pub. Thinking that I can get some useful hints from the local drunk, I pump him with mead. This does nothing to oil his tongue, and soon enough he is insulting me to my face.

Instead, I try the barkeep, who luckily is filled with rumours of local and far off lands. By this point, I am asleep on my feet, and take him up on the offer to rent a bed for the night.

Waking fully rested, I wander out into the morning light. A wan, pink light washes the landscape. I decide to do a bit of mental growing – in those early hours of the day, I walk away from various establishments having learnt the basics of alchemy and smithing. I also give the golden chicken foot back to the shop from where it was stolen – they give me gold, but its their thanks I prefer – I think the owner’s sister likes me.



The governor of Riverwood informs me that I could best serve the community by walking to Whiterun, the local capital city, to tell them about the whole dragon incident. Whether this is to just get rid of me, or actually serve a useful purpose, I am unsure. Regardless, I pack my things, and begin the long journey to Whiterun.

No comments:

Post a Comment